Tuesday 4 November 2014

Mmm, buttery

Have you ever tried cheese that is just like butter but better? I hadn’t. That is, I hadn’t until the day I tried Chaource AOP (Appellation d’Origine Protégée). After that, everything changed. Namely, I had discovered a magnificent creation: cheese that tastes as creamy and soft and gorgeous as butter. Although I don’t usually eat butter on its own, if I did, I’d want it to taste like Chaource. My only criticism is that its name doesn’t have an “I”—how fun if a cheese’s name contained all five vowels!

Chaource AOP
If you had to choose any cheese to be your bodyguard, it’d be this. At 6 cm tall, it towers above other cheeses, and with its 10 cm diameter it wouldn’t stand for any nonsense. Although one must admit the consistency is so ridiculously squishy that any assassins would have a pretty good chance. Plus, if they had any sense they'd just eat it!

Anyhoo, I had vowed to recreate my wonderful Brooklyn sandwich experience once I returned to England. Although the authentic version used Brie and Garam Masala mustard, neither of those were handy, so I substituted the Brie for Chaource and Garam Masala for English mustard. Albeit eye-watering, it wasn’t too bad. Not a patch on Hungry Ghost’s version but a valiant attempt. Plus, it was a good excuse to melt my new favourite. Mmm, just like butter.

Melted Chaource with ham, English mustard and mango chutney

No comments:

Post a Comment