Tuesday 9 September 2014

Holier than thou: Leerdammer vs. Maasdam

I don’t usually give much time to Dutch cheese. It’s nothing personal, I just get sidelined by all the seductive French fromage, not to mention stinky Swiss produce. This time, during my usual mosey down the cheese aisle, something bright yellow caught my eye. Not mustard, nor a canary or a daffodil. Leerdammer.

A lot of vowels, a few holes. Why not! It only seemed right to pick another Dutch number for this battle of the tastebuds. I might add that neither brand burnt a hole in the wallet. It also occurred to me I could eat more than usual to make up for all the extra air in each portion. That’s logic right there.

Leerdammer



Melted Leerdammer with avocado and quince jelly

Unlike last week’s funky cheeses, Leerdaamer is mild-smelling, smooth and has decent holiness. Maybe I imagined it, but I felt slightly blessed after eating it. The soft elastic texture and mild taste reminded me of Baby Bel. After some quick Googling, this isn’t surprising because Baby Bel’s parents—the Bel Group—also produce Leerdammer.

Melted, it was even better. Gooey and creamy, it went down a treat with my crispy tortilla (perhaps a tad too crispy due to our ultra-powerful grill), quince jelly and avocado. Well done! 4/5.

Maasdam


Not as deliciously creamy as Leerdammer, this traditional Dutch cheese is firmer and nuttier. Not that I’m opposed to nutty, far from it. Like Leerdammer, it is superior when melted. Although I must say it didn’t ooze with as much abandon. Not as fond of this one. 2/5

Melted Maasdam with carrot and courgette frittata
Overall, I clearly preferred Leerdammer. The two aren’t so dissimilar; and yet, it’s the small details that make a hole lot of difference.

2 comments:

  1. Leerdammer is a trademark-protected name of Groupe Bel. Maasdammer uses exactly the same process and the same ferments, but it's not protected. For that reason, you probably get better Leerdammer than Maasdammer, on average, but there's no essential difference, like different ferments, milk, process or aging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I get Leerdammer cheese in the US?

    ReplyDelete